So today is was a turning point for me and for Grace. I stopped by the feed store and picked up a cheap bridle...that looked like it would fit...after much deliberation with the counter girl who also has Arabians I settled on one. I really wanted one with clips for the bit but they didn't have one in stock..and I think I saved myself about 15 bucks getting one with screws. It really wasn't that difficult to put the bit on after all. Even a tack challenged gal like me figured it out with no BO or BBFF to be found to help. I can be a bit (no pun intended) helpless at time...(no comment from the peanut gallery)
So after the said bridle switch into the cave of doom I went. Treats in hand. She was very excited to see mee to day. It's always fun to walk into the barn and see her head sticking out of her stall staring at me, then when she realizes it's me the knickers begin. Nothing is better than that "I've missed you, where the hell have you been" knickers.
I have been using those peppermint wipes on the bit and they really do seem to help. So after the initial investigation and a little bit of me trying to figure out how to hold the lead and get the bit in her mouth and up and over her ears at the same time. This is a feat in itself. So to all of you trainers I tip my hat to you for sure.
She let me put the bit in her mouth and get the bridle up over her ears not once but 3 times, count 'em, 1, 2, 3. Sweet...
We also worked on standing in the tack area. That also went better than expected. So we seem to be on a roll. Keep your fingers crossed for me...
Joey the Jumper
2 weeks ago